Why do we have wisdom teeth?

According to scientists, our third set of teeth, otherwise known as wisdom teeth are evolution’s answer to early human’s ancient diet of rough foods like roots and gamey meats. This kind of food caused damage to the teeth so nature gave us an extra set. As our eating habits evolved, as well as modern technology, we had no more use for these extra teeth. They are essentially functionless and can cause problems when they try to squeeze their way in amongst our other teeth.

Does everyone have wisdom teeth?

No, in fact, some lucky people never get wisdom teeth at all. For those who do get them, there are usually one to four, and in the very rare occasion, five or six. They almost always cause problems, overcrowding the mouth and causing crooked smiles and even infections and cysts.

Do wisdom teeth always cause problems?

According to American Dental Association, 85% of people with wisdom teeth will need to have them removed before severe problems occur. For the remaining 15%, the teeth will grow in quietly, causing no problems or complications.

When should I get my wisdom teeth removed?

If you’re in the majority, your extra molars will end up causing you aggravations and possible medical side effects. The ADA recommends getting your wisdom teeth removed as a young adult, to prevent future issues and to have the best chance at healing since the roots are not fully formed yet.

If you or your child’s wisdom teeth are coming in or causing problems, make an appointment at Huntingdon Valley Dental Arts right away. Dr. Zola Makrauer and Dr. Julie Miller have extensive experience dealing with wisdom teeth and the issues they can cause. Putting off seeing the dentist can lead to serious problems, so call right away.