At Huntingdon Valley Dental Arts, we can’t stress enough the importance of flossing.  Brushing alone only cleans about 60% of your teeth’s surface area, while flossing will effectively clean that remaining 40% that your brush’s bristles cannot reach on their own.  The traditional method of flossing is using a piece of flossing string to clean the food particles and plaque that is wedged in between your teeth.  While this is effective, the flossing string can still miss some locations in your mouth. This is where a Waterpik Water Flosser comes in handy!

A Waterpik is a type of water flosser that uses a motor/pump to shoot a stream of pressurized and pulsating water to remove plaque, food particles, and other bacteria from your teeth. They are comfortable, effective, and easy to use. In addition, they have been clinically proven to help prevent gingivitis. Waterpiks also make it much easier for patients with braces to clean hard to reach areas.  Trying to floss with braces is very challenging and failing to remove the plaque around braces can lead to an increase of developing tooth decay and gum disease.  Using a Waterpik is a good solution to reach those spots that traditional floss can’t get to.  It doesn’t just stop at braces either, people with implants, bridges and crowns will have a much easier time flossing by combining the power of a Waterpik with traditional floss.

If you are considering a change in your daily dental hygiene routine, using a Waterpik flossing solution is a good start.  While Waterpiks are a great oral hygiene solution, it is recommended that it does not completely replace flossing, but rather serve as another method to use in conjunction with traditional flossing. If you don’t know where to start or how to purchase one, contact Dr. Zola Makrauer and he can help you out!